All Things SFA

Evaluating all things SFA, especially the hope of every student knowing someone who truly follows Jesus.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Think




John Piper encourages both thinkers and non- thinkers in one of his recent books, Think. I am tempted to consider myself a thinker, but I’m afraid one of my high school teachers or my parents will read this and expose me for my lies. So, I’ll admit it, I tend toward not thinking. I can usually take things at face value.

Instead of making non-thinkers like myself feel like an idiot, Piper gives a fivefold plea.

1) Be Thankful for Thinkers
There are those who through rigorous thinking have given us many things, both natural and spiritual, we would not have otherwise. A car to drive, books to read, the forward pass, John Wayne movies, and Oreos. Plus we would not have the Bible without those weirdo’s who learn Greek and Hebrew and translate it into English.

2) Respect Those Who Serve You with Thinking
The pastors, teachers, and writers that devote so much time and energy into teaching the truth of scripture in ways that relate to our lives really deserve respect.
“Respect those who labor among you…esteem them very highly in love because of their work” (1st Thessalonians 5:12-13)

3) Pray for the Vulnerable Thinkers
Pray for those who, although deep thinkers, can so easily be turned from the truth and teach that which tickles the ears of their listeners.

4) Avoid Wrongheaded Thinking
Although I’m not a thinker, I need to measure everything I hear or read against the Bible. That way when someone teaches something that contradicts scripture I can recognize it.

5) Read Your Bible with Joy
Read, read, read my Bible so I can treasure Christ more and more. Memorize it, enjoy it, and apply it to my life.

Are you a thinker or a non-thinker? Piper's plea is that both would learn to treasure God in all things and above all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment