All Things SFA

Evaluating all things SFA, especially the hope of every student knowing someone who truly follows Jesus.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Dark Places Part 1 - Residence Halls



As I’ve been processing places on campus where the gospel is not going, I’m discovering that I would receive failing grades in campus ministry 101. Okay, maybe I’m sliding by with a “C”.

Making some honest assessments of where we are as a movement, we’re not doing a lot in the residence halls. Sure, we have a few small groups taking place but other than Move-In this year, I can’t think of any actions we’ve taken to reach a specific dorm hall. No outreaches, no socials, no game nights, no hanging out watching tv or playing video games, nothing.

And here’s the thing that scares me, I’m not sure our students know exactly what that looks like. They’re willing and capable but I just don’t know if that’s been modeled for them. Well, I know it hasn’t been modeled for them.

Yep, that means the old staff guy needs to go hang out in Hall 16 and show guys what that could look like. I’d rather not because when I walk in a Residence Hall now I can see the looks on the faces of students. It’s the look of “Yes sir, can I help you find your son? You know parents weekend was last week right?”

Hmmm…maybe God actually wants me to lead out of my weakness. I really don’t like it when He does that.

Over the next few weeks, I could actually move in that direction and invite guys to join me as I spend time at Hall 16 and step out in fear, uh faith, and meet some dudes over there and see what God does.

Here’s a few ideas I may try: 1) Handing out Doughnuts in the morning 2) Halo Tournament with free pizza 3) Watch a few football/baseball games in the lobby 4) Pancakes at night 5) Hanging out in lobby with good ol’ fashioned surveys.

Most outreach ideas I steal from here CruPress Green

My hope is that students could see that this could be replicated in other residence halls and we would see the gospel going to dark places.

No comments:

Post a Comment