All Things SFA

Evaluating all things SFA, especially the hope of every student knowing someone who truly follows Jesus.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Reading To Be Challenged



Over the last 6 to 8 weeks, I’ve been reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I’m 300+ pages in, but it’s over 800 pages. My goal over the last few years is to try and read one book a week, sometimes I actually fulfill this. Reading Anna Karenina has pumped the brakes on my reading. I’m still able to read through a few other books that relate to ministry or leadership but reading a book like Karenina is toilsome. I don’t feel like I’m accomplishing anything. I feel like a slacker.

Although I feel like I’m plodding through this book, there is more depth than a lot of stuff I read, like Josh Hamilton’s autobiography. It’s caused me to rethink my reading list. Making sure I’m mixing in old books with new. Making sure I’m challenging myself with those who have gone before me and have thought deeply about life and not just being satisfied with the latest bestseller.

One of the articles that started me thinking about including older books - Milmin Training » Blog Archive » Inklings: Read Old Books

No comments:

Post a Comment